Garlic Tabasco "Vampire"
Vision Crew Unlimited has won a 1998 Aegis Award for "Garlic Tabasco". The Aegis Awards are the video industry's premier competition for peer recognition of outstanding video productions and non-network TV commercials.
The spot is also a 1999 Telly Award Winner in the Packaged Food catagory and a Finalist in the Use of Humor and Special Effects catagories.
Vision Crew was awarded a 1999 Axiem award for the spot.
Director: Evan Jacobs
Director of Photography: Douglas Miller
Producer: Wendy Mashburn
Vampire: Carlos San Miguel
Vampire Killer: Jay Beeber
Production Designer: Jimmy Stewart
Composer: Jeffrey Silverman
Visual Effects: Douglas Miller
- This production marks Vision Crew's first complete production, utilizing many of VCU's in-house production resources. Vision Crew founders, Evan Jacobs and Doug Miller, served as Director and Cinematographer respectivly. While Wendy Mashburn, VCU's production manager, served as Producer for the spot.
- The photography took place over a two day period on a set built on VCU's main stage. The team atmosphere was definately in place with many VCU crew members donating their time to the effort.
- With photography complete, the post-production process began. Jacobs served as Editor while Miller took on completeing the necessary visual effects shots.
- The visual effects for the spot included a dramatic opening featuring a dark haunted mansion. The majority of the image was computer generated using Electric Image and Adobe After Effects.
- Other effects in the spot included flashy effects such as the vampire's magical powers destroying a bucket of holy water and the vampire's final demise from injecting garlic. Not so obvious, was the use of visual effects for wire removal, and set extensions.
- Finally, Jeffrey Silverman composed a dramatic score featuring Scott Grusin's harmonica riffs.
Download a quicktime movie of the opening shot [274k]
View the entire spot at AdCritic.com